Sunday, June 20, 2010

day 37: my favourite things


New friends I met along the way often asked me what my favourite destination was. There were definitely places where I felt like I have come home, more than others. But at each stop, there was always something distinct that stood out.

Here is a summary of my favourite or most memorable thing at each stop:

  • London: Seeing so much history in a city is a new experience coming from young Singapore. Meeting Singaporeans in a club. Hanging out in a local bar.
  • Warwickshire: Visiting Serene and Gavin, and meeting Nicholas and bunch. Cotswold is lovely with small cottages and lots of green meadows. English breakfast, scones and tea are the best!
  • Paris: I will never forget being on the streets for a night, and how Norie stayed out with us even when she had a nice warm bed waiting.
  • Brussels: Having mussels at La Cotelette and being served by Nabil, who went the extra mile to make our meal so enjoyable - singing and offering massages.
  • Amsterdam: I love how the canals are everywhere! Although we did not get stoned (contrary to popular belief), we had the best pub crawl by Ultimate Party!
  • Berlin: Doing a reflective tour at the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe. Seeing the Berlin Wall and East Side Gallery reminds me of the need for world peace.
  • Prague: As much as it is touristy, it is a beautiful city. I love the view from the castle and the roast rabbit!
  • Krakow: The most eventful day was the trip to the A&E department at the hospital! Besides that, I was intrigued by the place. I definitely want to return to Poland and explore other parts of Eastern Europe.
  • Vienna: The entire city felt artsy and musical. It certainly deserved more time, to go for an opera or art exhibition. I enjoyed the walk around town seeing the intricate and sophisticated historical buildings.
  • Munich: Having an afternoon picnic at the English Garden and meeting more than three really friendly locals who initiated help.
  • Interlaken: The mountains and lakes were unbelievable. I think it is the most romantic place in the world! And the friends we have met were awesome! Nothing beats having a club just downstairs too.
  • Venice: Water everywhere! I love that about Venice. And there is always something relaxing about taking boats and crossin bridges.
  • Rome: Magnificent architecture and art. I love the Vatican museum, one of the few museums we visited on this trip; I was glad we picked this one. I would highly recommend the Sisteen Chapel.
  • Bodo: It was the best ending I could ask for, spending time with friends who were extremely hospitable. I loved the fact that the mountain and the sea was so close. I would love to go back and spend more time.
  • Oslo: Although we did not get into the city, we had a taste of how expensive Norway is. And the long twelve-hours wait at the airport was certainly more bearable than the one I remembered in Doha.

And the wall of fame:

  • Food: There is a tie on this one. It is either the English Breakfast by Gavin and Serene; or the baked Norwegian salmon with vegetables by Oyvind's mum.
  • Party: Amsterdam Ultimate Party pub crawl! Free shots throughout the night as much as you can drink, a t-shirt to prove you survived, great music and bunch!
  • New friends: The girlies we met in Berlin and our Carlos Armano! JinSha was the sweetest!
  • Hostel: Tom & Greg in Krakow had both Jerrain and my vote for the best hostel in Europe! Free breakfast, snacks, dinner, friendly staff, homely atmosphere - I could stay there for a month or longer if they let me!
  • Gadget: Caleb, my iPhone wins hands down on this one! He recorded my feelings of every day and kept me in touch with the world through emails and Facebook.
  • Clothing: Black denim skirt - casual and comfortable for all occassions
  • Snack: Definately Knoppers! Jerrain and I went crazy everytime we find this chocolate nutty waffle in the supermarket.
  • Blonde moment: Jerrain asked me which sense I would give up if I had to choose, and I chose sense of taste.
  • Romantic: Sitting by Lake Brienz in surrounded by the alps at Interlaken Switzerland
  • Fun: Playing the card game 'Kings' with our Zach, Dan and Adam from USA, having to end every sentence with the phrase 'in my bed'.
  • Glam moment: Putting on the safety suit on our way to the Summer House. We looked at least triple our size!

No comments:

Post a Comment