Tuesday, June 15, 2010

day 32: up in the air

It felt great to check in my backpack (still 15 kilograms) and travel in style and comfort. We left Rome Italy for the eleventh and last country, Norway. Øyvind was excited to show us his home. Jerrain and I are equally - if not more - thrilled to be in Norway for the first time.

We transitted in Oslo airport for a couple of hours where I had one of my most expensive lunches on this trip. For 190nok (approximately €24), I had two chicken legs, mashed potato and a bottle of lemon tea.

Finally, we landed in Bodo. After a quick detour to the supermarket and a short tour of Oyvind's home, we went up to a mountain just five minutes away to enjoy the midnight sun. At 12.30am in the morning, it was bright enough to see the mountain across the sea. We could not see the sun because it was too cloudy but it was fascinating just being in daylight when it was so late. To top the amazing view, we enjoyed a bottle of Riesling and crisps while we sat on the mountain.

At that moment, I knew Bodo stole my heart. With the moutain and the sea, it was difficult to stay faithful to Interlaken as my favourite stop in Europe. And this was just the first evening.

  • Location: Rome Italy and Bodo Norway
  • Cost: €14 train to FCO airport, €1.10 crisps, €5.90 baci chocolates, €4.90 sandwiches, 190nok lunch at Oslo Airport
  • Highlight: Sharing breathtaking views with Oyvind and Jerrain over Riesling (and coke for Oyvind who was driving).

4 comments:

  1. I really like Norway too... I was at a much further part of the country as compared to you. I wonder how does it feel to be in day light for 24 hours sometime of the year and night for 24 hours... interesting phenomena... enjoy yourselves gals. looks like u 2 are mountain people... hahaha interlaken and then norway... oh of cos and Mt Ophir and Bukit timah

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it wonderful to fall in love over and over again? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely.... that's a rare sight admiring the brightness of the day at 1230am. it'll definitely be unforgettable eh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bodo Norway had so many spots which made my heart tear with happiness. God's creation is awesome. I couldn't help thinking, "He created it! He created this!" I think I actually said it out, I should have shouted it out though. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete